“Each one of us has the potential to be a
global citizen, but it need to be unearthed.”
As a citizen of a country, I have a birth
certificate, an Aadhar card and an identity card. I am entitled to certain
rights and privileges. I obey country’s laws and I enjoy the convenience of
social policies and so on. What about a citizen of a globe? Is there anything
to characterize the global citizenship? A birth certificate, any card or
certain rights? …Not really! Global citizenship means a world where people are
treated and respected equally for who they are. It is about an outlook on life,
a belief that we can make a difference. It is about inclusiveness. We need to
realize how important our connections are with our friends, our
neighbourhoods, our communities and with our planet. In other words, Global Citizenship is about people’s
awareness of seeking the common good. It is about everyone.
Is my idea too abstract? Here I would like to
expound more on the gist of Global Citizenship. Mother Teresa, what to say
about that noble lady! She, the self-actualized soul, devoted herself
completely to the sufferings of the needy and poor. She volunteered her
valuable services to humanity and inspired others by setting an example of a
benefactor and a real global citizen.
The crux of the above matter is that the
deserving soul is the one who understands the need to tackle the sufferings of
the disadvantaged ones. That’s why I call “to
do a global citizenship,” not “to be
only a part of global citizenship.”
Global citizenship is not only a word to
spell or a thought to think. It is more than a feeling to feel. As it is well
said that charity begins at home, so are the words rightly said, “Global citizenship begins at home.” The
seeds of global citizenship need to be sown right in the minds of children at
home.
Let’s take an example of Diwali. If we celebrate Diwali
with our craze, not bothering about others like bursting crackers in front
of our neighbourer’s house, it would nothing more than tormenting and pissing
them off! So here we can play our role as a global citizen by keeping in mind
such things. That’s why I said, “we should do,” not “we need to do” global
citizenship that begins at home, then neighbourhood, followed by city, state,
country and then…world !!
To become
global citizens, we need not to be like Bill Gates who donated crores of
rupees for polio affected children. That means that when we are at sight of
human’s tortures, we can respond with humanity, not to gloat with smile. Let it
spread through children and their parents; through schools and institutions and
through government. Let us start by joining hearts and hands across the
continents and boundaries. In short if I say, education must be a priority as
it instills a feeling of camaraderie and responsibility. And this can be
accomplished by the media, I was talking about. They can teach the world to treat
people around them with respect, and setting the motto to be the utmost use to
the needy and help everyone, everywhere,
anywhere and anyhow sans believing
and disective theories like caste, creed, colour, region, country or continent.
We are needed to seek a common good beyond
our common comfort serve the world, beginning with our neighbourhood, to become
global citizens; global citizens, not spectators; global citizens, not
subjects; responsible global citizens, seeking the common good…. Let’s act
now!!
No comments:
Post a Comment